Damien McCarthy "Ireland on brink of police crisis"
GRA Conference starts today

Ireland is on the brink of a policing crisis, rank-and-file officers have claimed.

The Garda Representative Association (GRA) said shutting down stations, cutting pay and freezing promotions have taken their toll on the force.

Damien McCarthy, president of the organisation, which represents more than 11,000 grassroots members, issued the stark warning as the GRA gathered for its annual conference.

"I think it's a recipe for disaster," he said. "We have all the necessary ingredients in place now to ensure that we are on the brink of a crisis in this country in terms of policing."

Mr McCarthy said morale was rock-bottom, with officers finding it increasingly difficult to carry out everyday duties. While he singled out a number of austerity measures, he also attacked Justice Minister Alan Shatter over the absence of new laws to better protect officers from violent assaults.

Last year, the GRA urged Mr Shatter to bring in legislation making it a specific offence to assault a garda, paramedic, nurse or other frontline emergency worker. The demand came on the back of figures showing an average of two garda officers are attacked during their work every day.

"It's one of the reasons why morale is so low," said Mr McCarthy. "I think it is an absolute disgrace that this area has been left untouched and nobody seems to care about the difficult challenges that frontline public servants do on a daily basis."

The GRA wants anyone convicted of assaulting a garda or other emergency worker to face jail sentences of up to five years, rather than non-custodial sentences issued under present laws.

Mr McCarthy said the Department of Justice appeared to treat the threat of violence as an acceptable occupational hazard for members of the force. The issue could not be allowed to fester any further, he added.

The GRA president also warned the force was "at a crossroads" over garda station closures. Refusing to say what potential action could be open to gardai, he said he would deliver a "clear message" to Mr Shatter at the two-day gathering in Athlone, Co Westmeath, starting on Tuesday
pogan,proud to be a member of ESF since Jul 2010
Supervisor of Crime Prevention Section of Emergency Services Forum
Contact me by mail at pogan@esforum.org
Reply Return to top
This post has been repped by: Damned United (2),

To be honest I think assaults or any violent crime should carry a jail term regardless of who its against, the fact that its an ES should be used by the Judge to slap on a bigger sentence is appropriate.
Before contacting us, please read our Help section expecially if its about VerificationSwap area or obtaining a Site email address. After that, you can contact me by either PM or E-mail and I will do my  best to help.
Reply Return to top
(16-04-2012, 10:15 PM)Administrator Wrote:  To be honest I think assaults or any violent crime should carry a jail term regardless of who its against, the fact that its an ES should be used by the Judge to slap on a bigger sentence is appropriate.

Overhaul the whole justice system, court in town Tuesday same people there every week, after your hard work.

Fair point there not enough full time gardas now 2000 retired in last two years it will be 4 years or so before there's any more on the street
Reply Return to top
Reply Return to top
This post has been repped by: irlsandbag (2), charliecroker (2), thehawk (2),

The legislation is there, it's just not being used. What we need is an explanation as to why the DPP never goes with it. I'm surprised the unions representing POs & the other EMS haven't gone rasher over this.
Reply Return to top
as it was started by a non verified that would be unfair however I have duplicated it for sensitive chat in the locker room
Before contacting us, please read our Help section expecially if its about VerificationSwap area or obtaining a Site email address. After that, you can contact me by either PM or E-mail and I will do my  best to help.
Reply Return to top
We do a job that others either resent and view with contempt or are jealous of us having these jobs. But we do our job to the best of our ability. We spend time away from family and friends to serve the people who do support us and resent us. We risk our lives for friends and colleagues to ensue they go home safe. We do our job not for fortune and fame and feel honoured when we do our job well.

All we ask for is that if we are attacked and assaulted that these are treated correctly. We ask that we are respected by those we serve and those that employ us. So if an ES member is assaulted then it is punished accordingly.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster.

[Image: SARGE300_zpsb3d5acad.png]
Reply Return to top
Unfortunately as you have pointed out, I do believe that we are resented by many.
Whatever your reaching for better be a sandwich....coz your gonna eat it......
Reply Return to top
Reply Return to top
Reply Return to top
yes but offically a reserve is a garda member! so yes the numbers probably are that, but we have lost full time members and the forces numbers are being kept up by reserves.
Those who can, do.

Those who can't do, teach.

Those who can't do or teach....... Manage!
Reply Return to top
(18-04-2012, 12:02 AM)vidar Wrote:  yes but offically a reserve is a garda member! so yes the numbers probably are that, but we have lost full time members and the forces numbers are being kept up by reserves.

If that was the case should there not be more members, as the reserves are well over the 1000 mark now.

So if there where just under 14,400 at the end of 2010, there would have been at least 600 reserves in place that would have brought the force up to 15,000 members, i dont think so, reserves cant be taken into account as they are not always available for duty.

So if there is 13,650 and well over 1000+ reserves are you now saying that there are only 12,200 full time members approx, as that is the way i am reading your reply, this could not be right, and i would very much doubt the Minister would leave himself wide open to this, especially as the GRA was on his case, they defo would have lashed him with that one for sure.
Reply Return to top
A lot of reserves have left the job. So it should balance the number i believe. I am 100% in agreement that the reserve lads should not be counted in as they are not full time on duty
Those who can, do.

Those who can't do, teach.

Those who can't do or teach....... Manage!
Reply Return to top
Reply Return to top
Reply Return to top
(18-04-2012, 06:30 PM)pogan Wrote:  Speaking at the Association of Garda Superintendents conference, he warned that such comment "should not be repeated."

When you warn someone you are suggesting that there will be a negative action by you against them.
Reply Return to top
(18-04-2012, 06:32 PM)Administrator Wrote:  When you warn someone you are suggesting that there will be a negative action by you against them.

What action could they use against them?
Reply Return to top
thats what im asking
Reply Return to top
He is going to take away all our toys
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster.

[Image: SARGE300_zpsb3d5acad.png]
Reply Return to top
(18-04-2012, 06:52 PM)Administrator Wrote:  thats what im asking

Sorry misread your comment admin,

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0418/opertion-fiacla-set-up-to-tackle-burglaries.html#audio
Reply Return to top